Government can't make sure everyone succeeds - or even dictate what success is for different people - that much is up to the individual.
What governments can do is make sure everyone has the freedom to choose their own goals, and the opportunity to pursue them.
Increasingly not everyone in our society has those opportunities.
We believe that government policies should provide:
- Opportunities for all to participate fully in society
- Opportunities for all to participate fully in the economy - whether through starting a business, paid or unpaid work
- Opportunities for all to enjoy our beautiful nature
- Opportunities for all to own their own home
- Opportunities for all to get educated
- Opportunities for all to lead healthy lives
- Opportunities for New Zealand to articulate our unique identity
Other political parties promise the earth, but don't actually provide policies that will deliver the goods.
They are afraid of making the hard calls.
Over the next few months we will present evidence-based policy ideas to achieve these goals.