TOP has plans to address the 35 years of greed and neglect in our fisheries system.
Even with the best fishing rods and technology, no one can catch fish that aren’t there. TOP believes we are responsible for making sure we add value to the fish in our oceans, not deplete them.
- Restore fish stocks by increasing marine reserves off-limit to fishing
- Ensure quota can only be leased to companies who can prove they are fishing sustainably
- Invest in robust research and technology for preserving fish populations and ecosystems
- Re-negotiate with Māori to protect their fishing interests as per Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- Implement a management system that protects the fishing interests of smaller companies, Māori-owned companies and the wider community
- Implement practices that monitor by-catch and accidental kills
- End commodity exports overseas
The Quota Management System
The Quota Management System (QMS) implemented in 1986 was intended to preserve our fish stocks for future generations but it has failed. Big industry players have destroyed fish supplies and precious ecosystems in New Zealand by overfishing certain species and bottom trawling methods.
Fishing companies invest in technology that ensures they’ve caught every fish they can in a spot, before freezing them and sending them overseas to countries like China to make money.
Page last updated on 15-Oct 2020