Our Team Auckland Central | Tuariki Delamere Banks Peninsula | Ben Atkinson Bay of Plenty | Chris Jenkins Coromandel | Rob Hunter Dunedin | Ben Peters Epsom | Adriana Christie Hamilton East | Naomi Pocock Hamilton West | Hayden Cargo Hutt South | Ben Wylie-van Eerd Mount Albert | Cameron Lord Nelson | Mathew Pottinger New Plymouth | Dan Thurston-Crow North Shore | Shai Navot Northland | Helen Jeremiah Ōhāriu | Jessica Hammond Rongotai | Geoff Simmons Southland | Joel Rowlands Tauranga | Andrew Caie Te Atatū | Brendon Monk Wellington Central | Abe Gray Whangārei | Ciara Swords
- News & Events
COVID-19 RECOVERY PLAN FOR SMALL BUSINESS
COVID 19 Recovery Plan for Small Business
The Opportunities Party (TOP) really does understand the challenges that NZ small businesses face. Covid-19 has exacerbated these challenges. If you’re thinking of starting a small business, or you are an established small business ready for a comeback after Covid-19, then you will appreciate our smart business ‘start-up’, ‘efficiency’ and ‘support’ policies below:
Small Business Start-Up
If you’ve got a great idea rolling around, to help you turn it into a business reality TOP will:
- Introduce Kiwi Dividend, our Universal Basic Income of at least $13,000 distributed to all New Zealanders each year. This could be used to power-up your great idea into a profitable business or finally pursue that expansion you had in mind.
- Develop an education campaign entirely dedicated to SME’s so people know where to go for support, helpful tools and really understand the sector better.
Small Business Efficiency
When we say efficiency we really mean it. We will support you to get online, embrace technology, improve resourcing and energy use, and reduce regulatory burdens so you can spend more time doing what makes your business productive. Some of our commitments include:
- Free grants of $10,000 to help you improve your energy and resource efficiency (including farmers).
- Free grants of $10,000 to improve your use of digital technology. This may include equipment, creating an online presence or an e-commerce platform.
- Bulk discounts to help SME’s use cloud computing applications like Xero and cloud storage; and an online ecosystem of support tools.
- Free local networking to encourage energy and resource efficiency between companies.
- Upscale Dev Academy to get people competently coding within 15 weeks and secure jobs in our growing tech industry.
- Adopting appropriate building codes used by overseas countries to allow us to build more energy efficient homes faster and cheaper than we can do now.
- Help more NZ owned businesses access opportunities in the public sector; and incentivise companies to award procurement opportunities to NZ businesses.
We hear you when you told us there are too many hoops to jump through to run a profitable business these days, so we’re committed to the following to help you secure funding and run your business:
- Provide grants of up to $5,000 to help businesses work with universities or polytechs to access technology or resource support to solve problems.
- Abolish Provisional Tax for SME’s and remove Fringe Benefit Tax (FBT) on all electric vehicles (including E-bikes)
- Review Health & Safety legislation to ensure it is balanced between risk and the cost of compliance.
- Improve business finance by disincentivising our obsession with property investment (see Property Tax Policy) and encouraging investment in innovation and business.
- Ensure Kiwibank is not constrained so capital can get into NZ business easier.
- Our competition policy is the weakest in the world so we will make overhauling it to protect our businesses and treatment of subcontractors a priority.
- Last but certainly not least, we would force the government and big business to pay their bills quicker so cash flow for your business will be less of an issue.
We know you will agree with us that productive businesses are profitable, and that the benefits of this stretch far and wide within our community. TOP is on your side and you have our commitment to clearing the way for your business success.
Page last updated on 22-Jun 2020
Do you like this page?