Candidates Auckland Central | Tuariki Delamere Banks Peninsula | Ben Atkinson Bay of Plenty | Chris Jenkins Coromandel | Rob Hunter Dunedin | Ben Peters Epsom | Adriana Christie Hamilton East | Naomi Pocock Hamilton West | Hayden Cargo Hutt South | Ben Wylie-van Eerd Mount Albert | Cameron Lord Nelson | Mathew Pottinger New Plymouth | Dan Thurston-Crow North Shore | Shai Navot Northland | Helen Jeremiah Ōhāriu | Jessica Hammond Rongotai | Geoff Simmons Southland | Joel Rowlands Tauranga | Andrew Caie Te Atatū | Brendon Monk Wellington Central | Abe Gray Whangārei | Ciara Swords
- Comms & Events
45. How will this win an election?
All 7 of our policy priorities are about much needed reforms that will make New Zealand a better place for us all to live in. We haven’t formulated them with the purpose of offering election bribes or handouts to people just so they vote for us. In fact as I have said from Day One, The Opportunities Party is about making New Zealand a better place, giving more opportunities to more people because we don’t believe you can build sustainable prosperity on an unfair society.
What’s more I have said that I have a strong belief that when most people get full information they make totally rational, as opposed to purely self-interested, decisions. With the first policy on tax reform 80% of people will be better off so it would be against even pure self-interest for us not to be supported by 80% of people on that policy. For the other 20% I simply ask the question - do you care about the rise in inequality that has occurred over the last 25 years, does it concern you at all that the way we’re going, your children won’t be able to afford the rent let alone buy a house. There will be some in that 20% - like Paul Henry say - who reply they don’t give a toss. That’s fine they have one vote, just like everybody else.
Was this helpful?