As done in Portugal 15 years ago, make drug use a medical issue not a criminal one. Make drugs available at public health clinics. Most drugs are significantly less dangerous than alcohol. This results in at least 7 gains
1. Stop wasting police time.
2. Remove incentive for criminal activity
3. Treat the need that drives people to drugs
4. Reduce hospital admission rates because drugs are pure
5. Reduce overall use because users don't need to become dealers to finance habit.
6. Brings the problem out in the open to allow adequate treatment.
7. Allows proper regulation (ie age restrictions like alcohol) and taxation - which should fund treatment.
Do you like this suggestion?